Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is North East Chamber of Commerce Trade & Industry (NECC), registered in England and Wales with company number 02938084 whose registered office is at Aykley Heads Business Centre, Aykley Heads, Durham, DH1 5TS.
Information We May Collect From You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
• information that you provide by filling in forms on our website www.necc.co.uk (our website). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our website, subscribing to become a member, registering interest in an event or service, sending an enquiry, posting material or requesting further information. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our website;
• if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
• We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them;
• details of transactions and activities that you carry out through our website;
• details of your visits to our website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
IP Addresses and Cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our website and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
We use two types of cookies on the NECC website:
Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies services you have asked for, like online forms and online bookings and logging into the members area would not work.
These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don't collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works.
Storing Your Personal Data
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. When we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses Made of the Information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
• to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
• to provide you with information about products, services or events that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
• to allow you to participate in interactive features of our website, when you choose to do so;
• to notify you about changes to our products and services.
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone.
If you are an existing member, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous contract with you or enquiry by you.
If you are not a member but are a visitor to our website, we will only contact you where you have requested information or services from us and will only do so by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) where you have specifically requested that we may use that means of communication.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
• if NECC or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to Information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.